I just finished reading the classic, 1984 by George Orwell. I had mixed feelings about it, but overall it was a good read. If you have not read it yet- it might not hurt to add it to your list of future reads. It was a book that prompted me to think critically about other things- which is probably what I most liked.
For those who may not know- it was written in the late 1940's- looking into the future- the year 1984. It made me think- what did people living in the 1940's really think the year 1984 would look like? I always wonder if books, movies, etc that are based in a future time are a serious thought as to what the year will be. I do not think Orwell was serious in thinking 1984 would like what he depicted. I think it was more of a tool to express a particular view. I did wonder, however, if anyone reading the book when it was first published in 1949 took it seriously. Then I began thinking about what life was like for someone then and what that would prompt them to think for the future.
I always think that living back in the 1920's - 1940's must have been awesome. But I thought about it yesterday and I don't think so...
The "greatest generation" as they were often called lived trough a rough period in history. They lived through world wars that effected each part of their day to day life. They lived through the depression. They witnessed the invention of television and so much more. What did they think the future would hold? Were they scared that the world would always be at war? Why not- the majority of their lives thus far were full of war.
I am living during a war. Right now- there is a war happening. I know people who have been overseas and fought in the war. Right now- my brother faces a near future where he will be shipped overseas and join that war. Do I feel my day to day life is effected by this war? Honestly- NO. I sometimes go days or weeks without thinking about it.
So the question I asked myself was...Am I spoiled? What do I have to fear? What great tragedy have I lived through? Now I am not forgetting the war in Iraq, the gulf war, 9-11, Oklahoma city, the first time the World Trade center was bombed, etc. But really- what have we had to overcome that the generations before us did not?
This is all just speculative thought currently floating through my mind. I am not really drawing any major conclusions....just thinking.
I think I want to get more books to read that will prompt me to think about this sort of thing. It will help me not to think about the fact that I am getting depressed over work.
Okay- back to writing my rudely late Thank you notes for wedding gifts...
The End.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment