22 October 2007

Excuse me, are you a red head?

The honeymoon is over.

People use that phrase to mean ( or so I think they do) the lovey dovey goo goo ga ga can't get enough of you love sickness that characterizes a new relationship has ended and the relationship must then face the harsh light and decide- can we keep doing this?

i do not like that point of view.

The honeymoon is over. BK and I have safely returned from our adventure in Maine. It was...

surreal.

We had never spent such a long period of time together alone. We also had never been on a vacation- just ourselves, not even for a weekend.

It was an emotional time. The wedding was a little overwhelming. We felt so much love and support from our friends and family. It was almost too much to take in all at once. Everyone came together and sent us off with many sincere love and well wishes.

I was going to write a long entry recounting the whole trip- but that would not work. If you want to know how it went just ask me in person.

Here are some highlights:

-On our first day in Bar Harbor a guy did not seem to realize Ben was walking with me or notice my rings and tried to hit on me. He says to me, "Are you a red head?" (Which is a dumb opening line- clearly look at my hair and you will have my answer.) I said, "Not a natural red head." This ruined his punch line and then he noticed Ben standing there giving him a glare. We allowed him to continue and he awkwardly told us about a recent national geographic article about the extinction of red heads and how red heads need to make more red heads (aka have sex with him?hmm??) Poor guy. Ben proceeded to come up to me a number of times throughout the week and say- "Are you a read head?"

-One very lovely day Ben and I wore our pajamas on a walk down from our house to the ocean. We took a couple beers with us. We sat on rocks and took in the view, drank our beers, etc. I was looking for shells and next thing I know Ben has taken off his pants and jumped in the water. I did not join him. The water was cold. Then we found this neat broken down porch that was overgrown with moss and sea coral. It was a nice walk.

-Ben goes down to the basement to check out the TV and then yells up to me, "Liz, I think I just made your day." To our joy- they had not one but two Harry Potter movies (POA and GOF). We watched those right away.

-After a long hike along the shore in Acadia National Park we went into town for dinner. We were starving. The soup of the day was "Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash soup." We thought that sounded interesting so we ordered it. We then had to order a second bowl because it was so AMAZING. It was the best soup I've ever had. Ben wrote down all the ingredients he thought were int he soup so we could try and make it ourselves at home.

I am sure I am missing many good memories. We did loads more stuff- I'll get the pictures printed soon.

It is a lot to process. Being married is a big deal. We could just go through the motions and keep on living like we were. But we do not want to- we want to do this well. We want to get it right. I realize all the little issues I have are now magnified and made more significant because they are no longer my issues. They our now our issues.

There is a lot in my head that I cannot seem to put into words appropriate for this media.

3 comments:

Esthertainment said...

It's good to have you guys home.

Seye said...

i think you should continue to make blog posts... even though the transition has been made

Mason said...

congrats you guys, I wish you the best.